Sunday, February 8, 2009

www.how_much_lazier_can_we_get.com

You say "past" I say "paste"

After reading about the Google "fault" (meltdown) last week, I found hilarious this quote by the author of an article on Telegraph.co.uk:

"Users trying to access search results during the outage were forced to cut and past the links into the toolbar and visit the sites manually."

First, my mind had to get "past" the typo because my innate proofreading talent (annoyance to some) wouldn't allow me to proceed with another thought until it was fixed.

Then I got to thinking that perhaps the error was a Freudian slip on the part of the author. Maybe it was more of a commentary on how lazy we humans have actually become.

In the "past" (less than two decades ago) most internet users didn't even know what the internet was, let alone a URL.

To suggest that copying and pasting a URL directly into a browser is a hassle, reminds me how much we rely on technology to do the simplest things.

For example, have you ever stood with a cashier in a store when the power goes out?

"I'm sorry, I can't complete the sale, maam, because my cash register drawer won't open until the power comes back on."

I am tempted to say, "Well, get a pencil and paper out and I'll help you do the math."

Before Google, circa 1997, Internet users manually typed the address into browsers like Internet Explorer or Netscape.

With the advent of Bookmarks and Favorites, we didn't even have to do cut and paste anymore. Simply click a link to travel the Internet, no need to type a single keystroke.

What would we do without Google? I don't know, but here's a little fun that I found when I looked up Google's history.

Compliments of a link from Google -- the Swedish Chef language version. Who knew?

No comments: