Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Kindness of Neighbors

Last Thursday I went to see Aunt Millie at the nursing home. She had just returned from the hospital the night before, but was now vomiting, and had to be transported back to the hospital.

She was so disappointed, so tired of all the moves, yet so incredibly strong.

I cried as I drove home, feeling sorry for myself because I had no one to hug me.

A few minutes later, at my lowest moment, my phone rang. It was my neighbor Kathy who must have seen me come home. She asked if I was hungry and whether I would like some lasagna that her husband, Evan, had made.

That simple offer, and amazing timing, lifted my spirit and fed my soul.

The lasagna was pretty damn good too!

Thank you, neighbors, for your random act of kindness at a time that I needed it the most.

No comments: